The healthcare industry is one of the largest industries in the world, and it has a lot of potentials to keep growing. With the rise in the number of patients, hospitals are also facing a myriad of challenges. Having an integrated hospital management system (HMS) is one of the best ways to overcome these challenges.
When it comes to healthcare, time is of the essence. Presently, a hospital management system is used by the leading hospitals across India to streamline their operations and manage patient records efficiently.
- Are you planning to track the patient data of your hospital or clinic?
- Want to have easy access to patient information and tracking for better healthcare delivery?
Then, this article is for you. Read our blog to know about the hospital management system in detail.
What is a Hospital Management System?
A Hospital Management System (HMS) is a software solution that helps a hospital or medical care facility to manage its operations. In other words, it is an integrated solution that helps manage hospital resources and functions efficiently by integrating multiple hospital departments into one single network.
Not to confuse, a hospital management system is also known as a hospital information management system.
The most widely used type of hospital information management system is a computer-based patient record (CPR), which maintains the medical and treatment history of patients. An efficient hospital information management system can be beneficial for a team consisting of doctors, health workers, pharmacists, nurses, business managers, etc.
For example – A nursing staff member may be required to enter data into a computer database every time they change a patient’s position or administer medication. This allows all relevant personnel to access accurate information about each patient’s condition at any given time. Thus, it improves communication between departments as well as reduces errors caused by miscommunication among medical professionals.
The HIM department has been increasingly using technology over time to make sure that its processes are streamlined and efficient. This means that you will be able to keep track of all your patients’ records on one platform so that you are aware of everything from the start to finish.
One of the most important things about a hospital information management system is that it is constantly evolving to meet new challenges.
Types of Hospital Management Systems
In the present times, the hospital management system is used by a majority of hospitals since it helps them to keep a track of patients and employees.
Previously, there was a concept called the ‘traditional hospital management system’ and this was popular in the 80s and 90s. Only a few hospitals used this type of software to manage their daily operations.
With time, it has become obsolete as it is not efficient compared to other modern hospital management systems. It does not provide any functionality for automation and thus requires manual intervention for every task performed by a user inside the database.
Here are the three major types of hospital management systems available in the market:
Application Service Provider
An application service provider, or ASP, is a company that allows you to outsource your software needs. They provide you with software in the form of web applications rather than software that runs on your own computers. ASPs have many advantages over traditional proprietary systems, including lower costs and increased scalability.
For example, if your hospital does not have enough money for an expensive computer system or does not have the IT staff needed to support such a system then an application service provider may be able to help solve both problems at once by providing hosted healthcare applications. They can be easily scaled up as needed for increased demand at any given time (for example during COVID times).
Enterprise (On-Premise) Software
An enterprise or on-premise hospital software is customized to suit your hospital’s specific needs. For example, if you have an urgent care center and a large hospital, then it will be better to have two different systems because they have different requirements.
It can be used on-premise or off-premise depending on the customer’s preference.
The advantage is that it can be installed on-premises which means that all data remains within your premises and there are no chances of losing any data due to hacking or theft. However, if you prefer an off-premise solution where all configuration takes place elsewhere rather than in your own premises then this may be an option worth exploring as well.
Cloud-Based Hospital Information System
Cloud-based hospital management systems are the most cost-effective and efficient since you only pay for the software as long as you need it. In addition to that, cloud-based software allows you to access your data from anywhere, which means that if a disaster strikes and damages your computer or server where all of your data is stored, it can be backed up remotely in another location.
You can also access this data from any device—from phones to tablets—and from any location around the world. This feature makes it easy for employees who travel frequently to work remotely on business matters without having to carry around large heavy laptops or bulky hard drives full of sensitive information with them at all times.
Notable Features of a Health Information System or a Hospital Management Software
A Hospital Management System (HMS) is software designed to handle electronic medical records, laboratory tests, and their results, radiology images, pharmacy records, etc. It helps in managing patient data efficiently so that hospitals can provide better care and services.
In today’s times, most hospitals are preferring cloud-based hospital software management. This is primarily due to its user-friendly approach, and easy access from multiple devices. Such kinds of HIS will enable users to make the best use of their desktops, laptop, smartphones, and tablets.
Patient Registration and Scheduling
- A HIS or HMS is also patient registration software. It helps to manage patient data, schedule appointments, and track their information (demographics or medical history).
- Helps you manage the registration process by allowing you to input new patients into your database with ease.
- You’ll be able to access patient records quickly when they need follow-up care or get emergency treatment after hours.
- You’ll also be able to improve customer satisfaction by offering more streamlined registration processes for incoming patients as well as providing faster access for current clients.
- Enables employees within each departmental area of your facility—from radiology all the way down through physical therapy—to know when patients will arrive at their location without having access to each other’s schedules; therefore, improving coordination across departments. Also, one can reduce the time spent on filing paperwork with insurance companies.
Electronic Health Records (EHR) and EMR Management
- Electronic health records (EHR) are the digital equivalent of a patient’s medical history.
- EHR is a system that maintains electronic health records.
- EHR software also helps doctors, nurses, and other healthcare providers share information about each patient’s treatment plans.
- It stores the medical history and information related to a particular patient.
- EMR is a system that allows electronic health records to be accessed and transmitted
- Both the EHR and EMR features will help in offering effective treatment for patients when they need it most.
Nursing Management System (NMS)
- The Nursing Management System (NMS) is used to manage nursing staff and automate the entire process of managing them.
- The system helps manage their schedules, assignments, attendance, and leave. It also helps in managing their training schedule.
- The NMS software can be easily integrated with other hospital management systems such as medical records system (MRS), pharmacy management system (PMS), laboratory information system (LIS), etc.
- It will help you to acquire the data entered by the medical staff from all other departments together on a single screen. This will eliminate the occurrence of duplicate entries into more than one place by different people at different times.
Laboratory Information System (LIS)/ Laboratory Information Management
- The Laboratory Information System (LIS) is a system for storing and managing laboratory test results.
- It can be used as a centralized database to store all the blood test reports, urine test results, biopsy slides, and other procedures like radiology, imaging, and pathology.
- The LIS is also useful for the Radiology department where it can be used to store and manage radiology images of X-rays, CT scans, MRI scans or ultrasounds, etc.
- It also helps store pathology images such as histopathology slides of biopsies taken from patients.
- In addition to these uses, it can also be used in cytology image storage where smears are stained with chemicals to identify specific cells or bacteria present in them.
Online Doctor and Hospital Booking
- Online doctor appointment helps you manage the appointment of doctors in your hospital.
- Through this feature, you can easily schedule appointments with patients and doctors. It also allows patients to book appointments with the doctor online.
- Hospital booking will enable you to book appointments with doctors, hospitals, and clinics.
- It helps you find out the availability of a doctor or hospital and schedule an appointment.
- The software can be customized easily so that it fits the requirements of your business perfectly.
Online Doctor Video Consultation
- There are many ways you can use the doctor video consultation.
- You can use it to connect with doctors, patients, or other doctors.
- This feature lets you talk to your patients in real time and get them the care they need faster.
- It also helps connect you with other people who are interested in making a change for the better in their lives or their community.
Benefits of a health information system or a hospital management system
- Access to patient data, improved with the implementation of an information system
- Efficient handling of clinical, administrative, and financial information
- Improved practice as a result of better decision making
- Helps in generating automatically generated reports.
- Improved patient care
- Reduced medical errors
- Enhanced patient satisfaction, leading to reduced readmissions and rehospitalization rates
Having a hospital management system or health information system is an important part of running a hospital. With the help of such a system, you can keep track of all your patients and their medical records, in addition to allowing access to this information from anywhere in the world!
You will also be able to generate reports automatically which will aim to prove decision-making when it comes down to caring for these people who need our help most.